HT Blog 24th Août 2018
Being back for a full week feels like quite an achievement and not just for the P1s! There have been a few tired faces in school today as we readjust to the school routine. Read on to find out what we have been up to and what’s coming up at Kirkliston.
French Phrase of the Week
The 1+2 Language Leaders have introduced the phrase of the week or L’expression de la semaine, which will encourage us all to learn a different French phrase every week. Each Friday at assembly they will introduce a phrase for us to learn and use the following week. Today it was Août which means August. We would really appreciate it if you could give this a go at home too, you could even try using it in the school office.
Just a reminder that House Captain applications are due in on 2 September and interviews will then be held on 13 September by Mrs Henderson and a guest. The successful candidates will have an opportunity to present speeches at House Meetings on 21 September when voting will also take place.
All children have returned well to nursery and have had fun catching up with their nursery friends. We have enjoyed welcoming our new nursery families and the new children have settled well. Nursery staff visited Primary 1 in the afternoons this week and loved seeing all the children.
The P1s have successfully completed their first full week of school and have managed very well at lunchtimes. Please make sure you order your child’s lunch online the previous week and if possible, help your child to choose their option so that they know what they are having. We were very impressed by how well the children managed to line up in Houses and this will continue for the remainder of the year. Staff in P1 have enjoyed hearing about all the things in the children’s memory bags from their summer holidays. What a busy time they have all had!
P1 Curriculum Evening
We would like to invite all P1 parents/carers to attend the P1 Curriculum Evening on Tuesday 28th August at 6:30pm. This will be an opportunity to hear about the curriculum in P1 and also what you can do to support them at home. This is presented by the P1 staff and is an essential part of sharing your child’s learning. We will meet in the school hall at 6:30 and then move up to the P1 classrooms.
Meet the Teacher
We will have a meet the teacher afternoon for parents of pupils in P2-P7 on Thursday 30th August at 1:30 in the hall and then classrooms thereafter. This is an opportunity for you to hear about the year ahead, meet your child’s teacher and get to know the class routines. I look forward to seeing you all.
You will soon be receiving consent forms for the annual flu vaccination programme. Please make sure you return the flu vaccination consent forms to school ASAP. The vaccinations will take place in school on Wednesday 21st November.
Next week will be the first of our Building Resilience Assemblies of the session. This year we will be following year two of the programme. The first unit is called ‘Take a Moment’. Keep an eye out for the associated homework task.
Health and Safety
To ensure the Health and Safety of the whole school community please adhere to these reminders:
• Please keep at least 2 metres back from class lines in the morning to ensure all parents can see their child/ children.
• Entry to the school building should be through the main entrance only and all visitors must sign in before moving through the school. Parents/carers are not permitted to move beyond the foyer area unless accompanied or directed by a member of staff. Visitor stickers must be worn.
• The fencing around the new adventure playground has now been removed so any pupils using the playground before/ after the school day are the responsibility of their parents/guardians. We would advise close supervision at these times.
• Scooters and bikes should not be ridden in the playground. Please remind children, and adults, to push them until they leave the school grounds.
KPSA Information Evening *Date Change *
All parents are invited to attend the Kirkliston Primary School Association Information Evening on Thursday 6th Sept at 7.00pm.
This is a great opportunity to come and learn about the KPSA and the important work they do to support the school. Whether you are keen to join the committee, would like to help at school events or just want to hear more about what they do, please join us.
Refreshments will be provided.
• 28th August P1 Curriculum Evening
• 30th August Meet the Teacher for P2-P7
• 6th September KPSA Information Evening
• 17th September Holiday
• 4th & 5th October Parent Consultations
• 15th -22nd October Holidays
• 23rd October Pupils return